Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Andy
Sorry, but there is no way to to integrate with the core WordPress search. At one point several years ago I know some users were using a plugin similar to Search Everything (it may have even been Search Everything) to return pages where it found the search term on the page where the
[connections]was inserted. It worked for their needs but it was clunky because it only linked to the page, not to the actual entry so the user would still have to find it on the page. This is because Search Entry can not index the entry details because Connections uses custom tables with a directory optimized schema instead of using the core WordPress tables which are optimized for a post schema. Additionally the custom table with the optimized schema requires a specialized search.I hope that answers your question clearly and thoroughly.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ daniel, Gina
The user search category drop down is currently a feature reserved for the premium sold here. Presently, the free templates only show the photo, not the logo.
That said… this Friday, if I get it done, there is another update for Connections planned. It is a rather significant update too. The big new feature is integration with the WordPress Customizer to configure the templates (point and click with real time preview of the changes). Most of the free templates will be retired and removed since they will no longer be relevant due to the template customizer. The important bit and why I bring this up is one of the many options you’ll be able to configure in the free default template is whether the photo is shown or the logo is shown.
I hope that clearly answers both your questions.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Patrick
Apologies for the confusion!
Could you please tell me what implied that the category list widget displayed as drop down? I’d like to know so I could correct the language used to avoid any confusion of the actual features and function.
Many of the premium template sold here render the categories in the drop down. For example Circled, cMap, Excerpt Plus, Gridder, Slim Plus and Tile Plus.
Due to the confusion of the features of the category widget in the Widget Pack I’ll process the refund request. Please confirm this is what you would like me to do. Thanks!
I hope this helps. Please let me know.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Thomas
re: To have an admin for each category where they can only manage users in that category.
Sorry, no. All admins that have permissions to edit the directory entries will be able to edit entries in all categories.
re: To make it so that when a member logs in they see only members in there category and cannot see or search any other category members?
Sorry, no. There is no way to prevent what a user permission to view based on category.
re: Just to make sure that link will allow any member to edit only their entry.
Yes. When a user is linked to an entry by Link, they will only be able to edit their entry.
I hope this answers your questions clearly and thoroughly.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Susan
Yes. This can easily be accomplished using CSS. The categories assigned to an entry are added as classes to the entry div.
My suggestion is to add a “Member” category and assign your member entries to that category. They will now have the
membersclass which you can use to target with CSS.Here’s an example:
#cn-cmap .bed-breakfast .cn-entry { background: yellow !important; }This will turn the background all all entries in the bed-breakfast category to yellow.
So, for your “Member” category will be:
#cn-cmap .member .cn-entry { background: yellow !important; }Using this CSS selector, you could really do pretty much anything you want to differentiate your member entries.
Hope that helps!
If you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Reshma Tachkani
Great to hear!
If I have not asked and you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!
http://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Nevin
This sounds like the correct behavior… does it match the demohttp://connections-pro.com/demo/template/tile-plus/)?
If you want more info to display on the single entry view, you can use an a different template. Here’s how…
Go to the Connections : Templates admin page.
Click the Individual template type link, upper left corner of the page.
Activate the Bio Entry Card template.
Do the same for the Organization template type.
Now goto the Connections : Settings admin page and click the Display tab.
Enable the Single Entry template option.
Now all the details will be displayed when viewing a single entry.
Hope that helps!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Catherine
Sorry, no, there is no extension available to mass email the entries within the directory. I do plan on creating an extension (or more) that integrates with a mail list plugin, for example MailPoet. I do not have an ETA for this though, sorry.
Coming this summer will be a CSV export, free. You would be able to export the names and email addresses and then import that into a mailing list. Sorry, I know this does not help your present needs.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Martin
The permalink to the entry detail page is not really a search result… the entries themselves are the search results.
That said…
Sorry, but there is no way to alter the entry’s permalink structure. Even it could (well, it could if all the rewrite rules were completely rewritten and then all the supporting code changed to work with the new rules) the permalink structure you want would not work. First, the example would lead to a list of results and the the entry details. But more importantly the WordPress Rewrite API does not support a structure like that. The closest would be this (a working permalink, give it a try):
http://www.autobodyshop.org/auto-body-shops-near-me/region/UT/locality/Orem/
The way it works, you need a “key”, example “region” followed by a value, for example “UT”.
I suppose technically the locality permalink should be like the example permalink I just gave, but changing it would not provide any additional results:
http://www.autobodyshop.org/auto-body-shops-near-me/locality/Orem/
As you see they are the same.
Apologies, I know, not the answer you were hoping for.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Faith
re: So if I change this home page, when I click on a category, will it direct them to all entries within that category?
Yes, all category link will resolve to the page set as the directory home page and the results will be filtered by the category that was clicked.
re: Also, is it possible to create a drop down bar with all of the categories, instead of a list?
Sorry, no, the output is a list of links.
-
AuthorPosts
