Support has been upgraded!
The Support Forum is closed. Not to worry! Providing the top quality support you expect and we're known for will continue! We're not ending support, just changing where you submit requests. This will provide you with the best experience possible.
Have you purchased an addon for Connections such as one of our premium templates or extensions with a valid license and you need help?
Please open a Support Ticket in your user account.
Are you using the free Connections plugin? Don't worry, you are still very important to us! We are still providing you with the same high quality support that we're known for.
Please open a new support topic in the WordPress support forums for Connections.
06/27/2016 at 4:05 pm #380709
Hope you are well! A member got this error last week: “ERROR: Entry could not be updated.” The owner of the site was able to fix the error, but now it has reappeared. I did some testing and had the same error. Also, new users cannot create a new entry either. I have checked Roles, disabled plugins, checked folder permissions, gone through all of the other related posts on this forum and are still having the problem. Please assist! Thanks!
Matt06/27/2016 at 4:58 pm #380743
If you give me a temp admin login, I’ll take a look. The details can be posted here as a private reply.06/27/2016 at 9:58 pm #380744MattGuestThis reply has been marked as private.06/28/2016 at 10:41 am #380782
It seems your test user account already had a linked entry but that linked entry seems to not have existed or perhaps deleted? When a user or entry is deleted that link should be removed too. In this case it was not. I see that this happens sometimes when users are testing but I have never been able to replicate it. If you let me know the steps you took in order to get this error that could help me track down the issue.
Perhaps it too interferes with plugins which hook into the WordPress user delete functions. If it does, then perhaps, the link can not be deleted like it should be causing orphan links.
Is this test user the only one where you had this issue, or are there other?06/28/2016 at 1:00 pm #380806
Thanks for taking time to dig into things. The owner of the site got an email from a member who already had an entry, but when she tried to make updates to it and save them she got the error. I will take a look at the S2Member issue and see if that might be the culprit. However, I know that it had not been updated between last week when she was able to save her changes, and this week when she was not able to save her changes. Not sure what transpired between that period of time.
Was not aware of the link issue. How do you remove the link?
Matt06/28/2016 at 4:19 pm #380835
I saw that you ran the S2Member snippet code to reset roles. Before you ran it were you able to update the test entry or did it work after you fixed the link issue? I just logged in to my test account and was able update it. I just need to know so I can let the end user know to try again. Let me know your thoughts.
Matt06/28/2016 at 5:55 pm #380841
re; The owner of the site got an email from a member who already had an entry, but when she tried to make updates to it and save them she got the error.
Do you know which user so I can check that user? Can I get access the the webhost control panel so I can use phpMyAdmin. That will make debugging the actual link issue far easier/quicker.
re: How do you remove the link?
Right now, the only way is to use the WordPress function delete_user_meta() function. What I did on you test account was create a snippet that simply called that function with the test user’s WordPress ID telling it to delete the
connections_entry_iduser meta key.
re: I saw that you ran the S2Member snippet code to reset roles. Before you ran it were you able to update the test entry or did it work after you fixed the link issue?
Running this snippet did not correct the issue, unfortunately. What I did to remove the linked did the trick.06/28/2016 at 6:15 pm #380842MattGuestThis reply has been marked as private.06/29/2016 at 10:45 am #380879
I looked at the links in the db, there are no other duplicates. I would expect if there was an issue with other users not being able to edit their entry that there would be duplicates or links to non existing entries/users. I did not find any, which is good.
I tested the user you mentioned… using the User Switching plugin, I was able to switch to the user and make edits just fine, no errors. The edit caused it to go to moderation which is expected due to the role capability settings.
I suspect the user misinterpreted the moderation notice as an error (or maybe not) and requested that the change be approved by the site owner and the site owner misinterpreted her request as her reporting an error.
So, the short version, I can not find any issues other than the issue you experienced with the test user.
If you can recall which steps you took to end up with a broken link to a non existing directory entry, I will definitely take a look because that is a bug because that should not be possible.06/30/2016 at 2:20 pm #381007MattGuest
I think the S2Member fix and link fix were important and I glad you addressed them. In looking back at my original email from the owner, it looks like the S2Member issue was the original issue. But when I tried it with my test account, I shifted over to the update error, which still needed to be addressed. You got’em both, so that was great.
I emailed the owner to have her contact the member have her try and update her profile. Waiting to hear back. Will confirm things are back to normal once I hear back from the owner.
You cannot reply to this support topic. Please open your own support topic.