BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 8,811 through 8,820 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Categories not getting added #323550
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Daniel

    First thing to try is deactivating all other plugin temporarily to see if that resolves the issue. If not, then temporarily switch back to default theme to see if it is resolved … this is to eliminate the possibility of any conflicts. If the issue still is not resolved, I’ll need a temp admin account and FTP access, limited the wp-content folder is fine, to debug what the cause might be.

    in reply to: Birthdays today shows more days #323549
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Koen

    I just visited your site… I only see one birthday for today. When I visit that entry, the birday is the 19th. Looks like it is working fine.

    in reply to: Custom fields in cards #323450
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    re: CVS Import will have an update release at the same time to support the
    ability of plugins that add custom fields to also extend the import
    importing into those custom fields from a CSV file.

    Yep, this happened… the key in the quote is extend the import. The necessary action/filter hook are available. A dev can create an extension that adds custom fields and they can also extend the the csv import to permit importing data into their custom fields. I several that have done exactly that… they actually helped testing so I know that it would work correctly.

    In that thread you’ll also see that I stated that there was not going to be a point and click way to create custom fields with the release of .8 that that feature would likely come as an extension.

    re: Is there any way at all, I can somehow get CSV import to import into my custom fields
    There is, by extending the the csv import as mention in my previous answer. Unless you know PHP, you’re going to need a dev.

    in reply to: label changes #323449
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    There’s another way of looking at it…

    I design for plugin and play… the only setting you have to configure is the directory home page, nothing else. The other options on the settings admin page are completely optional. Honestly… there’s probably already too many options available. I’d love to take some away.

    All the shortcode options… they are provided for users who wish to do “advanced” tweaking/configuring.

    I could “lock” everything down and not provide the more advanced config options (ie, the dizzying number of shortcode options) like most, nearly all, other plugins do.

    That said… I’ve found it easier user to use shortcode options for the strings (* template specific*) and Say What? for core plugin changes. I guess we run and use different plugins because I’ve only run into a handful which allow changing labels at all. So my experience is that is rare, not common.

    Could you show me examples? I always keep an eye out for how other plugins solve problems.

    The alternative… you would have to deal with a POT file, translating it with Poedit to create the PO file that can be compiled to a MO file which has to be named precisely and uploaded to the correct folder via FTP.

    Which sounds easier to you as an end user?

    in reply to: Search Button Not Working Properly #323448
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Brett

    I took another look at the page… you really do have some malformed HTML in that Text Widget that contains the two images and links…

    in reply to: Custom fields in cards #323441
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    Oh, posted too quick…

    Yes, this is a little confusing… but it is the same terminology issue WordPress has too… In a post you can add Custom Fields. A dev could extend the post with a custom field.

    See for yourself… go add a new post, there is a custom fields metabox. Plugins that extend the post with custom fields, but they are not related to the Custom Fields metabox other than the actual data gets saved to the same place in the database.

    Hopefully that did not confuse you more!

    in reply to: Custom fields in cards #323440
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    Should mention… just about any time someone is asking about custom fields, they are not asking about those custom fields but rather something like, Education Level, Languages, Income level and Business Hours.

    It is those types of custom fields that require a dev to create an extension for to extend Connections.

    in reply to: Custom fields in cards #323439
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    re: But wait. I am confused. Again.
    When adding a post in Connections it does say “Add New Custom Field” at the bottom of the page… Isn’t that exactly what I am looking for? How do I make this custom field show up in a theme like Slim Plus?

    CSV Import can not import into that.

    re: I tried inserting a couple of custom fields, but they don’t show up – not in Slim Plus, not in the default template. I am confused…
    That is because you need to turn on the Custom Fields Content Block on the Settings admin page under the Display tab. Of note, the option is in two spots. One for the Result List, the other for the single entry. This is to allow you to choose the context in which a content block will be displayed.

    in reply to: label changes #323438
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ boerup

    re: I used Say What? to change: Biographical Info > xxx.
    In the backend it has changed, but on the site, it reads “Biography”.

    “Biographical Info” does not equal “Biography” they are completely different strings. In this specific case, this is a template specific string (I’ve mentioned those previously) which can be changed using the relevant shortcode option.

    re: The text you quoted here
    This is specific to cMap, does not apply to Slim Plus.

    re: What text domain should I use in order to change labels in the Slim Plus template? And how would I find that out myself?
    None, Slim Plus has not yet been updated to be translation ready. Use the shortcodes.

    re: The text you quoted here
    Still pretty much true… in the quote, I did say “basically” which does not imply “all”. That said, and more importantly, that answer is specific to the user’s questions in that thread.

    re: PS: It would be good with some QuickTips describing this…
    It’s in the FAQs on the Slim Plus template page.

    Here’s how to make it simple…

    If you want to make it easy on yourself… use Say What? and set the shortcode options. There’s no guessing because you’re covered.

    in reply to: Directory listing to Single Entry #323411
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jason

    Sorry, no checkbox for that. There are templates available here to allow the user to filter by their selected category so long lists of categories do not need to be displayed.

Viewing 10 posts - 8,811 through 8,820 (of 15,332 total)