BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 6,741 through 6,750 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: WP upgrading #358551
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Joshua

    re: Trying to create a members directory and was working until I upgraded to 4.4. Now it is all hosed up.

    It would help if you could explain what you mean by messed up. Unfortunately the only suggestions I can give you, since you posted in this thread is to follow the advice I gave in this reply and if that does not work, deactivate, delete and reinstall Connections (your data is safe).

    If you can reply back with more details I will be able to offer better help.

    I hope this helps, let me know.

    in reply to: Limit number of entries #358528
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ John

    This is a feature limited to the template sold on this site. Some have it enable by default, others have is disabled by default. It depends on the design focus of the template. cMap, for example, has it enabled by default with a setting of 20 per page which is adjustable via the Template Customizer.

    To see pagination in action, visit any of the real world sites that I provide links for or the demo page.

    Pagination does work, just fine. I get very, very, few support related questions about it. When I do, it is more often on how to turn it off or on or change the page limit.

    Hope that helps answer your question thoroughly.

    ps. It just occurred to me that the pagination in the admin, the Connections : Manage admin page is paginated (defaults to 50) and it uses the same logic to determine the pages. So if you add enough entries you could see it on your site too in the admin.

    in reply to: Limit number of entries #358526
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ John

    Please do not post the question multiple times. It actually take more time to get an answer because I have ask not to post multiple time and close one of them. Thanks!

    I’ll answer your question in the other post.

    in reply to: Display Families – expand to individuals #358499
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Chris

    I’m also working this too… a way to improve discovery of all the doc pages by creating a table of contents/index page which will become the “landing page for the Documentation link in the main nav (under the Support drop down). I’m a little stuck how to make it better than a really long list of links (other than adding a little excerpt describing each link).

    in reply to: Best way to display categories? #358470
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ David

    I would suggest the cMap template for a chamber site. Many other chambers of commerce use this template quite successfully. I hope that helps!

    in reply to: How-To youtube video #358467
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Chris

    re: I think you misunderstood. When I say “membership” – I mean a “membership DIRECTORY”. ie. a listing of the members in the club.

    Yes, I did misunderstand. Apologies!

    re: What I’m asking for (as a part of your documentation) is a video that shows people how to build that directory listing. Ie – how do you use the shortcodes to get the directory to get the look you want. With suggestions on which templates or extensions a person might choose to achieve that look & feel.

    I do plan on this after I have finished revamping the written docs. There are already a few third party video tutorials.

    Of course these are no substitute for creating my own but these are available now and may be useful for you to review. I watched each one and the information provided is accurate.

    re: As for the login, it appears that there is already a plugin for that? Created by you?

    Yes, that plugin is from me and is just a simply little login plugin.

    re: To give a bit more data: in my other life (ie. not as a beekeeper) I have a Masters in Adult Education. Which is to say – I understand a bit on “how people learn”

    Thanks for the information regarding those numbers on how adults learn. It is helpful to know that spending time making the videos will be that useful. I’m guessing you are a visual learner enhance the request for a video tutorial. Like I said I do plan on making this but I need to write it first to give me a base to work from. Until then, I am available to answer your questions.

    Reviewing this thread I realized I never answered your original question IF you want specifics – in editing the page where the directory is supposed to display, I don’t have the foggiest idea what to do beyond putting
    < h1>Here is your directory< /h1>
    [connections]

    The most basic step after this is to add public entries which I actual do talk about in step 3 of the quick start guide.

    in reply to: Import Website with Title #358466
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Adam

    Currently this is not supported. That said, I just now added this support. Would you like me to email a beta version which includes this support?

    You would setup the CSV like this example (spaced out for readability):

    Last Name, First Name, Link | Website , Link | Website Title
    000-test , Link, connections-pro.com, Connections

    in reply to: Something is wrong? #358452
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    Closing due to inactivity.

    in reply to: How do I set the id field in a profile? #358451
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Karen

    You can not, the entry IDs are auto created by the WordPress database when they are added. Just like when you add WordPress posts, pages, categories and such.

    in reply to: Display Families – expand to individuals #358450
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Chris

    re: Is there something about the different templates that describes what each of them actually DO?

    Well, what they do is display the entry differently which is why I have a live sample of the template on the page along with a link to a demo page and links to live sites using the template.

    re: For example – on the cMap page, it says “over 100 interactive point and click tweakable options”

    An overview of those options can be found in the docs.. I’m not sure it’s practical to display an itemized list of those options. perhaps I can add a gallery of screenshot of them. That said, the advanced section of the docs which cover the advanced shortcode options, a majority of those are the 100+ point and click configration options.

Viewing 10 posts - 6,741 through 6,750 (of 15,332 total)