BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 6,731 through 6,740 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Another issue #358652
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    re: It says I’m running 8.5.7 already?

    I do not see how, I only released this version a couple hours ago. That may not matter because if the plugin was altered when WordPress checks for an update it may not recognize it as the Connections plugin anymore and will not offer to update it. And, not knowing the changes that were made, updating it might not be a good idea because your site may require whatever changes were made. Maybe the original owner can let you know if it would be safe or not to switch back to the real Connections plugin. If it is, you could delete it and reinstall it. Backup first if you do so if you run into trouble you can roll back.

    in reply to: WP upgrading #358651
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Joshua

    re: My single quote is the octal character 039, not octal 096 which I think you are referring to as a fancy quote”.

    If you change the quote to a straight quote, that key right beside the enter key, it’ll be fine.

    I’m referring them as fancy quotes because they are often called that in the WP world. Why I do not really know.

    If this issue is on the site you’ve listed in your replies, it seems there are issues on several pages with shortcode. Example, quotes and columns. So the update to WP 4.4 affected other instances of other shortcodes on the site.

    re: The product is having a compatibility issue with WP 4.4.

    As mentioned WordPress has been tightening up its shortcode API. It is less tolerant of errors which make it more secure. The WordPress shortcode parser never supported “fancy quotes” but was tolerant of them. In WP 4.4, they will prevent the shortcode from running. Thousands have updated and have zero issues, only a few who have errors in there shortcode have run into trouble with their directory not showing. If you would change the quotes that should fix this issue.

    Hope that helps and brings this to a close.

    in reply to: Another issue #358646
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    re: Any insight?

    Yes. You need to update Connections to 8.5.6 or newer (I just released 8.5.7) to be compatible with WordPress 4.4. But like I said in my previous reply it is concerning it says “Connections (AppleBrides version)“. This indicates that someone altered the Connections plugin. There is no way of knowing what changes were made and will the effect will be if you update.

    in reply to: Plug in Update Issue #358643
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    Great to hear! Nothing like a late Friday panic to start the weekend :)

    in reply to: Plug in Update Issue #358641
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    First, this kind of concerns me a bit; “I have Connections (AppleBrides version)“. This indicates that someone altered the Connections plugin which make me wonder if the cMap template was modified too. If these were both modified, then there is no the updated cMap would even work for you. What version of Connections does it say?

    You best option just might be to restore cMap from one of your site’s backups. If you do not have one, your web host might be able to help to restore it. If they want to restore your whole site. Ask them how old the backup is first. If it is old, then you could lose data in WP.

    The next best option is to to purchase a license for cMap. My best guess is the previous owner was Mark S. The license would have been expired at this point and would have been renewed anyway. The risk here is that there is no guarantee that it’ll work because there is no way for me to know if Connections or cMap was altered on your site.

    in reply to: Plug in Update Issue #358629
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    Oh, I did know this related to updated the cMap template… To fix, go to the Connections : Settings admin page, click the Licenses tab and add your support license key and activate it on your site. After you do, you will be able to update cMap.

    in reply to: WP upgrading #358628
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Joshua

    The shortcode has fancy quotes in it. My reply to Josh on how to fix this applies. The short version, replace the fancy quotes with straight quotes. Like so:

    [connections enable_category_multi_select=true show_org=FALSE str_select='Select Missional Community' str_select_all='Show All Missional Communities' show_dates=FALSE]

    in reply to: WP upgrading #358601
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Joshua

    Maybe you could help me by letting me know what the issue is exactly. You know something a little more descriptive than; “I upgraded to 4.4. Now it is all hosed up.” :)

    in reply to: Import Website with Title #358553
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Adam

    I just sent the email, let me know if you do not receive it.

    in reply to: Plug in Update Issue #358552
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Jessica

    re: I’m continuously having an issue updating the plug in.

    This is a WordPress error and could mean several things — WordPress could not download it, WordPress could not unzip it or WordPress could not delete the old versions files. I would need to know the exact error message to give advice.

    To get more meaningful error messages, go to the WordPress Updates admin page. You can get there by hovering your mouse over the Dashboard icon right below the “W” icon. There will be an Upgrades page, click it.

    On the Upgrades page add a check next to Connections and click the Update Plugins button.

    This will output a bunch of messages when Connections is being updated, please copy them and paste them in your reply.

    re: I’m also having an issue adding new entries, but I read that there’s an update being released tomorrow that will resolve, correct?

    Version 8.5.6, the current released version already contains the fix for WordPress 4.4.

Viewing 10 posts - 6,731 through 6,740 (of 15,332 total)