BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 7,621 through 7,630 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Can't Find First Name #344842
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Charles

    Ahhh… the added details helped. Obviously I didn’t think of this before, but the reason is “will” is one of the search stop words. I use the same stop word list as WordPress uses… stop words are terms that are stripped from search queries because they are too common of a word. hey are removed from search queries because these words would result is a very high number of unrelated search results.

    This can be addressed with a filtering that stop word list to remove “will”. Here’s how:

    Install the Code Snippets plugin.

    Add a new snippet with the following code.

    add_filter( 'wp_search_stopwords', 'cn_filter_stopwords' );
    
    function cn_filter_stopwords( $stopwords ) {
    
      if ( $key = array_search( 'will', $stopwords ) ) {
    
        unset( $stopwords[ $key ] );
      }
    
      return $stopwords;
    }
    

    Save and activate the new snippet.

    Now “will” should be removed from the stop words so he should now show up as a search result.

    Hope that helps, let me know.

    in reply to: Exporting #344841
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Steve

    This will be added in 4–8 weeks in Connections 8.5.

    in reply to: Edit Entry Fields Font Color #344840
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    Great to hear!

    If you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!

    https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections

    in reply to: Recurring Search in Categorical Listing #344839
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Cole

    I took a look at the page source and the form action is no longer being set… the original reason it was not working. It seems my changes were accidentally/unknowingly reverted by someone.

    On Monday I plan on releasing another bugfix update which incorporates the changes I made to your site. So, I would say update to it and I expect the issue to be resolved.

    in reply to: How to amend directory listing #344741
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Michael

    This seems quite doable. Please contact me using the Contact link at the bottom of the page so we can discuss specifics so I can provide a quote and timing. Please paste the link to this support thread in the message so I can relate the two. Thanks!

    in reply to: Slim Plus – Use 2 custom layouts #344740
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Ray

    Oh, I see. Basically your need to create an alternate version of Slim Plus… basically you would simply have a second template that just happens to look like Slim Plus. This is definitely doable… I run every template on this site on different pages.

    You would start out by copy pasting the source template files to a new directory in the plugins folder. For example, the source files for Slim Plus would be found here:

    ../wp-content/plugins/connections-slim-plus/

    But after that is gets mildly difficult because you need to make quite a few changes to the PHP files in order to register it as a separate template. This is definitely outside the scope of what I can do in the support forums.

    That said…

    Yes, if you want to send me a mock up I can give you a quote and timing. Please contact me using the Contact link at the bottom of this page about this. Please paste the URL of this support thread in the message so I can relate the two.

    Look forward to hearing from you.

    in reply to: Not able to select "Templates" in left-side bar #344739
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    Well, this is not going so well… I logged in and activated the plugin this morning and now all I get is the error message. Never seen anything like this. Could I also get an FTP login? That way I can manually deactivate the plugin when working to figure out what is going on.

    in reply to: How to list category titles? #344738
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Demos

    The is the category list widget that comes as part of the Widget Pack.

    in reply to: Can't Find First Name #344697
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Charles

    Looking back thru your various posts… I came across one asking about a notice you received when upgrading basically stating that the table indices do not support FULLTEXT. For a refresher here’s the thread:

    http://connections-pro.com/support/topic/8-2-1-database-upgrade-error/

    Now how does this relate to this issue you might ask…

    The fallback search that Connections performs, there is a minimum character requirement. This is not imposed by Connections. It is imposed by the db and how the web hosts configured it. Most hosts set this minimum to 3 characters, but a few set this as 4. Basically this means any searches equal to or less will not be search for by the db.

    You can test if this is the case by adding just one more character to the name. My guess it’ll be returned as a search result. If that is the case there’s it is not a bug and there is nothing I can do about this minimum character requirement, sorry.

    As a possible work around, you might be able to add a space character before or after the name. I’m not certain how the db counts a space character.

    Let me know what you find out.

    in reply to: Not able to select "Templates" in left-side bar #344691
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    Well, I got lucky, real lucky I think. I have it working. What I did was comment out (so it does not run) the code the reads the template directory looking for legacy templates. I do not mean legacy template the same way as legacy template like the ones that the Legacy Template extension adds… I mean really old templates. “Modern” template are really different and one of those major differences is that Connections needed to search for legacy templates. This search seems to be triggering the error. My best guess is that the folder permission are somehow preventing this quick search of the templates folder and triggering the error for some reason.

    I’ve been slowly removing support for these really older template. The next bugfix release, I’ll skip doing this scan. And for those that are, for some reason, still using one of these old templates, I’ll have a plugin ready that’ll re-enable the scan for the.

    Apologies for the trouble.

Viewing 10 posts - 7,621 through 7,630 (of 15,332 total)