BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 7,631 through 7,640 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Picture/images not uploading #344690
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Enrique

    The failure is happening early in the process… but here’s an overview of the process.

    • Selected image is uploaded to the server temp folder with a unguessable temp file name. This is a PHP “standard” for all uploads regardless of WordPress, Connections and so on.
    • WordPress validates the file, such as permitted file type, file size and safe file name.
    • After validation passes, the file is moved to the destination folder. Before the file is moved…
    • If the destination folder does not exist then WordPress creates it setting its permissions to that of its parent folder.
    • WordPress attempts to move the file using either move_uploaded_file() or rename(), core PHP functions (not WordPress or Connections). This is where the failure is occurring. As previously stated, very likely a server permissions configurations issue.
    • As part of the file being moved, it is also renamed to its final name. In this case the {entry-slug} (johnson-family.jpg).
    • After it is moved successfully, then Connections get involved and creates image size variations based on the image settings on the Connections : Settings admin page under the Image tab.

    As you see, Connections is only involved on the periphery of the process. It “merely” provides the HTML form to upload an image, tells WordPress to allow only image file types and where to move and name the file after it is successfully validated.

    in reply to: IE 9 Issue #344681
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Brett

    When I visit the link it redirects to the login page. I’ll need a login.

    in reply to: Not able to select "Templates" in left-side bar #344675
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    Thanks for he login, but I’ll also need the URL of the site :) The site you used for the post seems to be a Flash site and not WP.

    in reply to: IE 9 Issue #344674
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Brett

    Sorry, but I can not determine anything from the screenshot. What I can say is that the Circled template and Connections is compatible with IE9. You can test by visiting the demo page:

    http://connections-pro.com/demo/template/circled/

    If you share a link to the directory, I’ll take a look.

    in reply to: Not able to select "Templates" in left-side bar #344667
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    re: Whenever I click on the “Templates” link under “Connections” in the left-hand side bar, I get the following error: “The page cannot be displayed because an internal server error has occurred.”

    Why is this feature/function not working?

    Never had anyone had such an error before… I can not even guess as to why you would receive it. I would need a temp admin account so I could log and take a look.

    re: This problem appears to be happening with the new template customizer.

    Could you give me details on what gives you this impression? I ask because there seems to be more than just the error you’ve already stated. As the Template Customizer files/support is not even loaded until you click the Customize button for the template being customized.

    re: Are there some features that must be enabled (server-side) to allow the template customizer to work properly?

    No. It uses the same API/s (code) that WordPress uses for the Theme and Widgets customizers. Your WordPress version is up to date, correct?

    in reply to: Where is the stylesheet? #344666
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    re: Where is the stylesheet?

    Answer depends on what you are changing. The core stylesheets are in the folder:

    ../wp-content/plugins/connections/assets/css/

    I really would not recommend editing theses are you will lose any changes on a plugin update.

    If you want to change a template stylesheet, then I recommend reading these QuickTips for update safe methods of adding custom CSS:

    re: Is there no interface for editing the stylesheet in WordPress?

    Sorry, no and it is a feature that will very likely never be added. Generally those that can edit CSS will also know how to find the stylesheets and already have their own preferred app to edit CSS.

    What I will likely add is the ability to easily add custom CSS snippets like many other plugins/themes do.

    Hope that answers your questions thoroughly.

    in reply to: Edit Entry Fields Font Color #344665
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Mark

    re: My question is, how do I change the font color of the field labels on ONLY the “Edit Entry” page (i.e.- not the font color for the rest of the site)?

    Tough to answer this with only screenshots because it really depends on the CSS selectors used to change the text color. Try adding this to the theme’s custom CSS area:

    #cn-form .cn-metabox label {
        color: blue !important;
    }
    

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Slim Plus – Use 2 custom layouts #344664
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Ray

    re: can I have two Slim Plus Template Layouts and use the 2nd one for a different layout on a different page.

    What exactly do you mean by layouts? I’m confused.

    Can you use Slim Plus on two different pages?

    Yes.

    On those two pages different pages, can you limit one by category and another entry ID.

    Yes.

    Examples:

    Limit by category:

    [connections category="ID#"]

    Limit by entry ID:

    [connections id="ID#"]

    re: Can I activate more than one template at the same time?

    No, you can only activate one template per template type but you can use the template shortcode option to override the active template.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Picture/images not uploading #344663
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Enrique

    Seems there is a bug in WordPress…

    This is going to be a bit technical, bear with me.

    WordPress allows custom error handlers to be used there and there are multiple ways to define the callback function for a custom error handler. One is a string and another an array. Connections defines the custom error handler using an array. There are a couple ways to run a custom error handler callback, but only one is compatible with arrays.

    All other instances in the WordPress upload function call the custom error handler callback using the way that is compatible with an array… except for one. Unfortunately this is the error you are experiencing and it is triggering the fatal PHP error. I’ll report the bug to the WordPress devs.

    The exact error you are experiencing, as reported by WordPress is:

    “The uploaded file could not be moved to %s.”

    The %s would be the path.

    When Connections uploads an image the path would be this:

    ../wp-content/uploads/connections-images/{entry-slug}/

    The {entry-slug} is created from the entry name.

    You said, “if we add a new entry with an image, the entry in the “uploads/connections-images” is created OK as expected”

    Can you clarify this statement?

    When you say it is created OK? Do you mean the {entry-slug} folder? Or do you mean that the folder is created and the image is in it?

    I would expect based on the error WordPress is reporting, the folder is created, but that the image is not in it because WordPress can not verify that the file was moved correctly.

    I’ve glanced over your other support topics posted in the past and it seems server permissions has been an issue. Unfortunately I am not certain what the solution would be for this, you’ll need to contact your web host to see what they suggest. Writing to the WordPress uploads folder should be non-issue and it is for nearly all web hosts so there has to be a server setting they can change for you.

    This might help your host, the PHP function failing is either move_uploaded_file() or rename(). These functions generally only fail when the folder that object is being move into does not have the write permissions for the user/group (server user/group, not WordPress user) moving the file.

    My guess is that when WordPress creates the {entry-slug} folder it is not able to set correct write permissions for the server user/group. It should inherit the parent’s folder (/connections-images/) permissions and for some reason it is not.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Photo Of #344662
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Richard

    The original string needs to be:

    Photo of %s

    And you would use the connections textdomain.

    That said, when testing this just now, it highlighted a bug so even with the correct Say What? settings it will not work. My suggestion is to add it now so you’re ready for the next bugfix release scheduled for Monday.

    Apologies for the trouble.

Viewing 10 posts - 7,631 through 7,640 (of 15,332 total)