BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 8,191 through 8,200 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Strange misfit line feed #336872
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Anna

    Great to hear!

    in reply to: why is my card so ugly #336870
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Lynn

    re: oh and i’m calling my webhost right now about the index.php issue and seeing if they can change the mod rewrite

    You might want to inquire also about updating the server software … I think MS stopped supporting II6 last year.

    re: let’s just close this one and maybe you can push me in the right direction on my other post…

    Ok, sounds good, I’ll close this thread.

    in reply to: 500 error and No Connections Menu #336867
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Dave

    Sure, I’ll take a quick look. Send me a WP admin login and FTP login using the contact link at the bottom of the page. Please paste a link to this forum thread in the message so I can relate the two. Thanks!

    in reply to: Template no longer working… #336866
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ stefano

    There must be some invalid CSS in one of the files that were being minified. Seems Chrome was able to deal with the error, but neither Firefox or IE were able to. Any way great to hear this is resolved.

    in reply to: Strange misfit line feed #336865
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Anna

    Edit the page, switch the post editor to the Text tab and remove any code and pre tags from around the [connections] shortcode. Update the page.

    That should fix it. Let me know.

    in reply to: how to display members of a group on sidebar #336813
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ cheryl

    I can try to get it released tomorrow morning. Yes, it can be limited to a select group by assigning them to a category and then setting the widget to only display entries from the selected category.

    in reply to: how to display members of a group on sidebar #336806
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ cheryl

    I added a widget just last week to do exactly this. It is basically the Recently Added widget except if order by the default alphabetical order rather than newest first.

    That would work for you; wouldn’t it? I’m planning on pushing that update later this week.

    in reply to: "SLIM" template loading very slow #336805
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Linda

    Great to hear. I use to use W3TC before moving to WP Rocket. It is a very good plugin.

    in reply to: why is my card so ugly #336796
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Lynn

    re: I’ll keep messing with it, but I’m not sure this is going to wind up working for me. It’s a shame because it could have been perfect if I could tweak the templates to show the information I need.

    I did look at the old site you linked to. If you want that exact layout, you will need to custom template. To get something in the ballpark, especially if you want a columnar layout you will be better of tweaking the Tile Plus template. Most fields are off my default, by they can be turned back on with the shortcode options. You would have to enlarge the tile size to accommodate all the additional info. There are two shortcode options for that too.

    Really… there nothing on the old site that can not be done using Connections.

    re: i can’t figure out why when i click on the persons name to view their profile I get a redirect to a folder called “name” and and Oops the page can’t be found.

    This is due to the server config. You see the index.php in the address, that is breaking the rewrite rules in Connections so WordPress does not know what to do with the link so it redirects as a 404.

    The root of the issue it seems the server is using IIS6. IIS6 is pretty old and did not have native support for URL rewriting.

    Another user a while back had the same issue. Here’s a link to a working solution they came up with:

    http://connections-pro.com/support/topic/directory-links-not-working/#post-294843

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: "SLIM" template loading very slow #336793
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Linda

    It took me a bit digging thru my email archive to find a link… I found one page with Slim on it:
    http://ccl.rutgers.edu/collaborators/

    It look like there are over a hundred entries on the page, that would cause a longer page load time, for the same reasons if you tried to load 100 post titles and their excerpts.

    The only real solution would be to use a page caching plugin like WP Rocket I one mention this specific plugin because that is the one I use. Not affiliated with it in any way, just a happy user.

    By using a page cache, WP will not have to rebuild the entire page each time. You will probably get 1s page loads with page caching in place.

    Hope that helps!

Viewing 10 posts - 8,191 through 8,200 (of 15,332 total)