Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Andy
Thanks for the link to the plugin. That does help. I’ve installed it and have not yet been able to replicate the error But I’ve only begun to dig in.
There is nothing unstable about your site in regards to the update. There would be nothing to gain by restoring the home directory and db. If you want to roll back your site to 8.2.10, you can do that safely by deactivating and deleting Connections and then manually reinstall 8.2.10. Here’s the link to the zip file.
Now that I know the plugin conflict and where the error is, after I am able to duplicate it, I should be able to fix it.
Before you roll back Connections to 8.2.10, can you please paste the system info into a text file along with an export of the Connections settings? Both can be found on the Connections Tools admin page.
Attach these as text files to a private reply. Thanks!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Andy
Well, I was wrong about one thing, the drop down should only have the one item. The “System InFo” email should show as an option in the Filter drop down. Apologies for the misinformation!
I looked at the site. It definitely is a javascript error but that is only because that very same error is happening in the response that returns the javascript file for Timely All In One Calendar. Looks like we did stumble on one of those edge case plugin conflicts.
I’ll have to dig into their plugin to see why this error would show up in their file. Is this the plugin you are using?
It’s the only Timely Calendar plugin I could find via a quick Google search. If it isn’t, could you send me a copy so I can debug this issue?
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Andy
Well, there is only 10 places in Connections where
wp_list_pluck()is used. Only 8 of those that have the param set for index key toname. Of those 8, only 2 even have the opportunity to run unless you are on the Connections : Tools admin page because that file that contains those instances are only included in the file for that page when you are actually on that page. The remaining 2, one is a validation function. That validation function is only ever used on Connections : Tools admin page. So that last one is the only possibility and that can only happen if theclass.log-email.phpfile does not exist. And if that file did not exist Connections would crash causing PHP to crash.Can you check this path to see if that the file is not empty?
../wp-content/plugins/connections/includes/log/If it is empty, then WordPress failed to install the update. It’s rare but can happen. If that is the case, I suggest deleting and reinstalling Connections.
If it is not empty, please go to the Connections : Tools admin page and click the Logs tag. The top drop down should have two options, System Email and System Info Email. Does it have those two?
If it does, go to the System Info tab and send yourself a copy of the system info. After you do, go back to the Logs tabs. Does that email show in the log?
That said…
That error is not very likely to cause Timely All In One Calendar to stop functioning correctly. Something else would be the cause. Please share a link with me of the page having the issue. It sounds like a javascript error, something not likely origination from Connections.
There is no known issues with this update. In 8.3 there was an issue that would affect only those whose host is still running a very, very old version of PHP, that was corrected in the 8.3.1 release which is the version you updated to.
I fully expect some rare edge case bugs, seems there always are due to the wide diversity of hardware and software versions. So maybe we’ve stumbled on to one of those. But so far the success rate of updated for 8.3.x is in the ballpark of 99.998% which is pretty good.
Any way please share that link with me and I’ll take a look as soon as possible.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ jgtraylor
Ok, so I looked at this for a good chunk of my evening… The issue was caused by whatever method they used to “restore” the site from backup. You ended up with some sort of frankenstein cross between 8.2.10 and 8.3. In 8.2.10 I had a class named cnLog() this class was pretty simple and it main purpose is used to debug image issues. This logs created by this class are stateless, meaning the logs are only available for a single page load. Well, in 8.3 the cnLog class was changed to a stateful log, meaning the logs are saved in the database so they can be reviewed and managed at any point in time. The old cnLog is still available in 8.3, it was renamed to cnLog_Stateless so it still could be used for image debugging.
Because of this frankenstein hybrid you ended up with the cnLog was the new stateful version. And this was bad, very bad… did I say bad? all those logs were being saved to the db which was basically bringing your server to its knees.
Now you have tens of thousands (hopefully not more, but possible) of orphaned log data cluttering up your db. We’ll come back to this…
I was able to get your directory back up by deleting Connections and reinstalling a good copy of 8.2.10.
No, those logs, all those completely useless/wasteful logs… those can be gotten rid of, in time. There is no way to purge them without bring your server to its knees again. And the only way to start removing them it to get you updated to 8.3.1. So, please update. I believe the issue you had initially is fixed. If you have trouble with the update, please do not contact the host to fix it, please contact me.
After you update, let me know, I’ll add a little code snippet that will purge those logs a little bit at a time once an hour.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Reshma Tachkani
I’ve confirmed that this is a bug. I have fixed it and the fix will be in the 8.3.2 bugfix release. This will be released sometime next week. Apologies for the trouble!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Promedia Services
Thanks for posting this here. In the wp.org support forums I’m not permitted to ask for a temp admin account. I’d like to take a closer look to see what the source of the cropping issue is. Can you please send me a temp admin account login using the contact link at the bottom of the page. Please paste a link to this forum thread so I can relate the two. Thanks!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ jgtraylor
re: I am able to login now and can access all the items under “Members Only” status except the Members Directory. Please check.
Sorry, I cannot check because the page requires a login to view. I’m assuming you mean this page, right:
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Anna
re: I have a major problem on my server. My hosting sais that it can have someting to do with connections.
What is the issue and what does you host say the issue is? I’m unable to help without that information.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Anna
Good to hear you found the setting.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ bobbyau
re: choose which business is listed at the top?
You could try this.
re: I’m also wanting to make the top listing stand out a bit, do you have any suggestions as how this could be done/if possible.
You could create a “Featured” category and assign your desired entries to the “Featured” category. The you could use CSS to have a “special” background color for those that are “featured” like so:
#cn-cmap .featured .cn-entry { background-color: red !important; }Hope that helps!
-
AuthorPosts
