BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 7,881 through 7,890 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: import csv #341347
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Steve

    I’ve tested the CSV Import with 30,000 row files on a limited shared host quite successfully. On a more robust hosting solution provider, it should be possible to import 50,000 CSV files. With that said ever host is different so it is really impossible to say what the max is but a safe conservative number should be 10,000.

    Categories are created as needed but hierarchy is not. Generally this is not an issue because the hierarchy can be adjusted after the import. But since you plan to have hundreds for each parent, that would be quite laborsome.

    My guess the number of categories has to do with this question (you?) sent via the contact form:

    “how do I get states as category and cities as sub-categories – are the created on import?”

    My suggestion would be to not to use categories for this. I would use the address fields for this data. Yo can allows users to filter by this by enabling the Region and Locality permalinks feature on the Connections : Settings page under the Advanced tab. With these enabled, those parts of the addresses become links that when click will filter the results by the region/locality that was clicked.

    To better expose this to your users you could add the State (region) links to you sites nav by adding custom links to it. Many users do this another solution would to have a template custom developed for you that would allow you visitors to filter by that data just like they can with categories. I do provide custom development solutions and could provide a quote. You can contact me via the Contact link at the bottom of the page if you would like to pursue this option.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Setting Up Forms #341346
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Louise

    re: How do I add a form to a page?

    Go to the Connections : Settings admin page and click the Display tab. Scroll to the List Actions section.

    re: I tried to redirect individuals to login to site before accessing the form. When I click the checkbox to force individuals to log in, it takes me back to the home page and not the login screen. I also uploaded the login extension to see if it would fix the problem, but I don’t see where to use the login extension.

    Sorry, not sure I can answer this question because it sounds like you are using another plugin to handle redirecting a user to login since this is not a feature in Connections. You may have to ask that plugin developer why it is doing that instead of doing whatever it is supposed to.

    As for the Login extension, that simply displays the login form builtin into WordPress wherever you insert the shortcode. It also adds a login widget that can be placed into the theme’s sidebar. This widget will only display if on a single entry page (detail/profile view) and if the visitor is not logged in.

    Form can take submissions from anyone regardless if logged in or only allow a logged in user to add an entry. It sounds as if you want only the latter. You should only enable this option in the List Actions:

    “When this option is enabled a “View My Directory Entry” or “Add My Directory Entry” link will be displayed.”

    and not this option:

    “When this option is enabled a “Submit New Entry” link will be displayed. When a user clicks this link they will be taken to a page where they can submit their entry to the directory.“.

    Now a user will only see a link when logged in to add their entry. You should also make sure you logged in users, the role that they have should have the correct permissions. They can be set on the Connections : Roles admin page. I suggest only adding Add/Edit Moderated capabilities.

    re: When I initially tested the form, I sent a submission and an email was sent to me stating that “We will review and approve your submission soon.” However, I did not receive an email as an administrator as set up in settings.

    If you are testing as a logged in user, ensure that the user role you are testing in only has the Add/Edit Moderated capabilities. If you are testing while logged in as an admin, you are adding entries as an admin which will require no moderation. In that case no email notification will be sent.

    As for email not sending in general… Any email sent by Connections thru WordPress is logged. You can view this log on the Connections : Tools admin page. If the email is logged as sent successfully that means the command was successfully relayed to the WordPress mailer. If there is failure after that point it can be for many reasons, none of which no plugin can resolve. It could be that the web host block it or simply failed to send it. It could be that the receiving host blocked it or could be as simple as the email client filtered it to the junk/spam folder. If the cause is any of these often the solution is to use SMTP or an email host to process email from WordPress.

    re: I soon discovered that the form was automatically approved without being approved manually by the administrator. I would like to be able to manually approve submissions.

    My best guess is that you are testing while logged in as an admin. You have admin privileges. Any submissions you make will be as an admin and will not require approval and no email notifications will be sent. When testing, make sure to log in as a user that only has the Add/Edit Moderated capabilities. Those capabilities Connections : Roles admin page.

    re: How do I add custom fields as an administrator? For example:
    -I would like for applicants to be able to choose one or more roles: instructor, tutor, curator, developer, and the information be connected to the roles and their capabilities within the website. a LMS.

    Currently custom fields require a developer to custom develop for you as there is no point and click interface to add them. I do provide custom development solution and can provide you with a quote. Please contact me using the Contact link at the bottom of the page.

    re: I would like for applicants to add more categories on the front end or a skills textbox.

    Sorry, but it is not possible to allow a user to add categories via the frontend. A custom field text box is very doable though.

    re: I would like for applicants to add schools they attended (a textbox).

    Same as previously mentioned.

    re: How do I add an additional filter to the display from the tile plus template? I would like for viewers to be able to filter staff based on categories and roles.

    I answered this question here.

    I think I addressed all the questions. Please let me know if I missed one or if you need any of the responses clarified.

    in reply to: Form link is directed wrong? #341345
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Louise

    The Tile Plus template supports a filter for the categories. If you want to have an additional drop down that filters on other criteria, that would have to be custom developed. I do provide custom development services. If you’d like to have a custom template developed for you, let me know I and I can provide a quote. Please contact me using the contact link at the bottom of the page. Thanks!

    in reply to: Need search and sort by letter #341344
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Ethan

    First, try this…

    Remove the show_alphaindex shortcode option from the shortcodes you are using it and ensure the option is enabled in the settings. Actually, remove all shortcode options if you are using any others (for testing).

    Does the index show now? If not, Please share a link to your directory page.

    in reply to: Images #341153
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Bryce

    re: Is it possible that instead of an image, the system would automatically pull a screenshot of the clients website and display it where the image or logo would normally go?

    Yes, this is possible all you need is the SiteShot extension.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Display Options (Address & Category) #341146
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ cori

    Great to hear!

    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Ryan

    No, the issue is different… the cause of the issue is the index.php in the URL.

    I see your web host is still running IIS6. That is pretty ancient and I think not even supported anymore by MS. You might want to discuss that situation with them.

    With IIS6 removing that index.php from the URL can be difficult. The first thing to try is to go to the WordPress Permalink settings admin page and see if you can remove it from the permalink configuration.

    If you can not not, this support thread has a couple of fixes. The very last one should work for you.

    I hope this helps. PLease let me know.

    in reply to: Licenses, sites, activations #341057
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Brian

    re: I guess I need to remove some of the older version of the extensions and install the new ones for the licensing to show up in the settings area?

    Correct, for the licensing tab to show up, there has to be at least one extension that supports it (all current versions do) and for a plugin to be listed on the licensing tab it needs to support in-admin updates (all current versions do).

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Dropdown Menu #340996
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Patrick

    I submitted the request for refund for the Widget Pack. It’ll take 7–10 business days for it to be reflected on your credit card.

    Thanks for the purchase! Let me know if you have any other questions.

    in reply to: How do I set this up? #340994
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ David

    re: I figured it out thanks.

    Great to hear!

    re: One recommendation is to make the documentation much more robust.

    On my to do list is to add instructions to go to the Form tab on the Connections : Settings admin page and the give a bit more detailed description of the option.

    Is there anything else that would have aided you?

Viewing 10 posts - 7,881 through 7,890 (of 15,332 total)