Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ MV Times
re: Can I programmatically go from a cmap list on one page to the directory entry?
If I understand correctly, yes… I actually gave the solution in my last reply. You can use the home_id shortcode option. Just make sure the target page has the
[connections]shortcode on it.Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Rachel
re: I can create a login for you to use. Should I post it here in a private reply?
Yes, that’ll work.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Michael
The shortcode does look fine… the number two reason is the snippet was not activated. When you add a new snippet, the default action is to save only, not save and activate. Double check to make sure you’ve activated the snippet.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ MV Times
re: I’m still grappling with this question of missing titles. I have attached a screenshot of your Wyomissing Square demo listing — it too has the title missing.
Unless we are talking about two different things… the entry name is in the screenshot you attached of the demo page. I made a copy of your screenshot and put arrows on it to show the entry name.
You previously state that; “I have found the span: And it appears that the “display=none;” is inside the span. — Would this not indicate that it is in the Template?”
Like I said, this is not in the template. There are two ways this could end up here. The template was modified from the original code and that was inline style added. Or, some other plugin or the theme is adding it with javascript for some reason.
- Did you turn off javascript in the browser as suggested to see if the entry name will be visible?
- Was the template altered in any way?
- Was Connections altered in any way?
re: And, instead of linking to an individual listing the title/link on the listing goes to a page with all the entries linked from.
Ok, sorry, I’m not really following you here… Clicking on an entry should take you to the individual entry. Which, you said, “When we click on the list item header/link it takes us to the Entry…“. What changed? It seems like it was working fine when you made the original post.
re: On, top of that the listings pages carries with it all style data from the previous page.
Sorry, again, I do not understand. I looked at the screenshot but without context I’m not sure what I am looking at or what is wrong with it. My best guess…
Did you added content above the
[connections]shortcode? If you did, that will be on the Connections “pages” because you are not actually leaving that page. The shortcode itself is dynamic, changing based on what was clicking in Connections, for example the entry name.If you want to have static content above the directory “home page”, then you need a second page to show the results on. Here’s what to do:
Create a new page. The name of the page is not relevant but should applicable.
The content of this new page should be the
[connections]shortcode and nothing else.Save the page and take note of the page ID, You’ll need it. You can find it in the browser address bar as part of the URL.
Go to your original directory page and add the home_id shortcode option. You shortcode on the page should look something like this:
[connections home_id="n"]Save the page.
No when the links in the directory are clicked, they will resolve to the new page.
Without a link to your directory page, all I can do is offer guesses. If you share a link, I can very likely give you solutions.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ reyes
re: Are you planning on posting the custom software you wrote for me in the new QuickTip making it public domain?
Yes, the code snippet I came up to do category redirection, like the initial search results snippet, will be posted in the QuickTips section in the site. That way if I ever make breaking changes to Connections, I’ll update the documentation/QuickTip to fix it.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Jim
Great to hear! if I may… Which plugin are you using to encrypt the email addresses?
Also, if you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance.
https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Rachel
It’s really hard to say from a screenshot. Here’s what I can tell you…
If two plugins load the Google Maps API on the same page, you can get unpredictable results from Google. I see you did try deactivating the Google Maps API in Connections, unfortunately that does not always work because the other plugin has to have it loaded before Connections needs it. That does not always happen and causes an error would result in no map at all.
From the screenshot, I see there is some non-standard Google CSS being applied to the map. Specifically speaking how the text seems to have a “shadow” and something odd going on with the control icons in the upper left of the map. I only ever really see this when the theme applies styling globally to images and text which negatively impact the Google Map. It is possible the theme is applying a style which is making the map tile image to not appear.
To give you more helpful info, I would need to have access to the page with the issue so I can take a look.
Question for you, is the version of Tile Plus installed 2.0.1? If it is, I suggest updating it to the current version which is 4.1. I’m betting you have version 4.1 installed because the map was not available until 4.1.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ reyes
I am still working on the writeup. I plan on posting it as a new QuickTip. The short version is…
Go to the Snippets admin page. It is the scissors icon under the Plugins icon.
You will see a snippet named “Connections :: Category Redirect“. Edit this snippet.
On the edit snippet screen, you’ll see a redirect map. The left number if the Connection category ID and the right number is the page ID.
To add a new redirect, add a new row at the bottom of the list following the same pattern.
Example:
catID => pageID,To remove a redirect, delete the corresponding row in the redirect map.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Amanda
No problem! If you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!
https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Jim
re: I’d like to display the first name and last name in place of the email address. (to help reduce spam)
Using text instead of displaying the email address does not have any effect on email harvesting bots. They can simply parse the mailto attribute which also stores the email address but is not visible to the user.
If you really want to protect the email addresses, you need the ROT13 Email Encryption extension. This is also something that can be done with third party plugins as you mention, but they may or may not work on the email addresses displayed by Connections. It really depends on their implementation. The methods used by the ROT13 Email Encryption extension leaves the email address prefectly user readable and accessible while preventing bots from easily scaping them.
Alternatively, there is the Contact extension. The emails address are not displayed at all and is replaced by a contact form accessible from the entry’s profile/details page.
Another option is to make email addresses private, that way only users logged on to your site can view email addresses.
Hope that helps!
-
AuthorPosts
