BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 7,161 through 7,170 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Error: Could not insert term into the database #351534
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Emily

    There could be many reasons for this:

    • WordPress was unable to write it to the table for the categories.
    • The category you are adding already exists in the parent category it is being added.
    • It is a duplicate category.

    So, when you say you are not able to create categories. Does this mean you can not add additional categories to the “Uncategorized” category?

    If that is the case, my best guess is that the table could not be created when Connections was installed or the table was created but does not have write permissions.

    With that info, is that something you can check? If you do not know how, I can take a look but I will need a temp WP admin login as well as access to the web host control panel so I can look at the database using the phpMyAdmin tool.

    in reply to: Featured Member/Connection/Profile widget? #351530
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Kera

    The Widget Pack as a couple of widgets that might suit your needs. Did you give that a look?

    in reply to: listing page example #351528
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Sean

    Well, yes it is possible… but, it would require quite a bit of custom development to create an extension for Connections in order to add all those niche fields and a custom template in order to display them similarly to the example site.

    Hope that answers your question.

    in reply to: 404 gives error in class.seo.php #351526
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ SnailsFromJupiter

    Looking at this post, the update one for the var_dump of $post.

    Is that correct and not a copy/paste error? The 404 and known page results are the same… the var_dump for the 404 should be NULL, just like the var_dump for $wp_query->post. They should be the same. I’ve confirmed this on a couple sites, different hosts.

    If these var_dumps are correct, that explains why you get the error.

    Did you try adding the change that will be included in today’s update? It is fairly close to what you suggested in your last reply.

    https://github.com/Connections-Business-Directory/Connections/commit/cecac2688d134c4d2df1cc6008285f6477d4232c

    in reply to: Printable Directory #351458
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Eugene

    Other users have managed to successfully use a plugin called Print O Matic to create printed pages of their directory.

    There’s no officially extension or anything other than to print the page from the browser, sorry.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: Organization Directory – Display contact name #351457
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Denis

    Add this to the theme’s custom CSS area:

    #cn-gridder .cn-gridder-overlay .title,
    #cn-gridder .cn-gridder-name .title,
    #cn-gridder .cn-contact-block {
        display: block;
        font-size: 14px;
        font-weight: 400;
        line-height: 14px;
        text-transform: none;
    }
    

    That should fit the display.

    in reply to: Media Library #351456
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Billie

    For the photo and logo? So, no, there is not a way to use the Media Library images.

    in reply to: 404 gives error in class.seo.php #351455
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ SnailsFromJupiter

    re: It’s not that $wp_query->post is unset during a 404…but rather that it’s never set at all. In fact, $wp_query->post is unset for all new instances of WP_Query, when it is initialized.

    Yep, that’s what I said in this reply; “I find this whole thing odd because the global $post object should not be set on a 404 anyway (I think)“.

    I came to that conclusion based on the same code was pointed out in SO.

    This is why I wanted to see the var_dumps I asked for in this reply. It should be NULL on 404’s and therefore not pass the comparison and simply return the title without further processing. But since it is passing the comparison, they must not be NULL… I’m still very interested in seeing the results of the var_dump if you’re willing to share.

    I definitely agree API/s should be used at all times and leave the globals alone.

    I have to deal with other devs directly modding the globals directly all too frequently which breaks things unexpectedly. This is why my immediate thought was that the theme or plugins was the cause.

    I ended up with the solution I did after several revisions because of it not working in x-scenario for different users. So far reading the globals directly has been the most reliable.

    I see no harm in adding the is_404() check, I probably add it. This is the change I went with 2 days ago.

    https://github.com/Connections-Business-Directory/Connections/commit/cecac2688d134c4d2df1cc6008285f6477d4232c

    Since I can not replicate the issue, can you give it a test?

    I’m not sure I want to use get_queried_object_id() because the ID returned is contextual. For a post or page it comes from the $wp_query->post->ID anyway, see this.

    in reply to: display option to download vcard #351429
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Michael

    Ok, here’s how…

    You need to edit the card.php file found here:

    ../wp-content/plugins/connections-slim-plus/

    Add the following lien where you want the link to be displayed:

    $entry->vcard();

    I recommend using a template override file as explain in this QuickTip.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: display option to download vcard #351424
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Michael

    This can only be added to this template by editing its core PHP files. Is this something you feel comfortable doing?

Viewing 10 posts - 7,161 through 7,170 (of 15,332 total)