Forum Replies Created
-
AuthorPosts
-
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Sylvia
re: I am not sure how to change my ‘Search by Alphabet’ from displaying vertically to horizontally
This is very likely being caused by the theme. Please see this FAQ.
Try the solution in the yellow-tinted box. That should fix it. Let me know.
re: I purchased the link add on but I can’t seem to figure out how to set up login for members who want to update their directory listing.
You can add users to on the WordPress Users admin page. You can also allow them to register to your site using the built in WordPress user registration page.
Hope that helps, let me know.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ biorn
The Connections : Tools admin page will only be available to admins. You can use a plugin like User Role Editor to give the Editor role the required capabilites so the menu will show. The capabilities you’ll need to add to the Editor roles are:
- manage_options
- import
- export
Note of caution, this will also open up other areas in WordPress that are managed by those same capabilities.
Hope that helps!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Dirk
re: that folder is empty on my site, but photos are visible in Connections. Anywhere else they could be?
No, the only location Connections reads images files from is:
../wp-content/uploads/connections-images/Unless you site is a multi site install of WordPress in which case you wold have to look under the correct blog ID uploads folder.
re: Will also look into software that makes a remote folder look like it is a local folder to Windows, similar to what DropBox does.
I use to use this a lot and it work quite well. Now with high speed internet… I image it would work even better.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Eric
re: I want to include icons to allow the user to initiate phone calls, text messages or emails from the staff directory.
The dev would have to alter the template to include those icons. This should be relatively simple. Connections uses a collection of PHP functions to output the info in the data. They can be found in this file. Instead of using those functions in the template, the dev would instead use the “raw” data functions found in this file. Using the data the dev can output the icons with their appropriate data.
To initiate actions, I’m guessing you mean from a phone/mobile device. The telephone number link would have to be prefixed with the appropriate protocol. Emails should “just work”. I’m not certain if there is a way to initiate a text message. Your dev would have to research that in order to determine if that would be possible or not. related links:
- https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/featuredarticles/iPhoneURLScheme_Reference/SMSLinks/SMSLinks.html
- https://www.twilio.com/blog/2014/04/add-sms-to-your-web-app-in-4-lines-of-code.html
re: I also want to include the logo for the respective teams that correspond to that staff member. The logo would be in addition to the head shot of the staff member.
Connections supports both a photo and a logo. The Slim Plus template only shows the logo, but your dev should be able to add the logo. The function to use would be this one.
re: If you know any developers that are already familiar with customizing aspects of the connections-pro plugin and its templates, I’d be happy to discuss this opportunity with them.
Sorry, but I really do not know of any other dev that I can recommend at this time.
Hope this answers you questions thoroughly!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Patricia
Great to hear!
If you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!
https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Robert
re: Is there an option to transfer out the content of a directory.
The best and recommended way to migrate WordPress, which would include Connections, would be to use a plugin like BackupBuddy or similar. Alternatively, you could export to Connections tables from the WordPress database and import on a new site and then copy over the files from the source to the destination. I’ve done this many times and can do it in about 10 minutes. Depending on your level of skill in using phpMyAmin and FTP it’ll probably take longer, maybe 30 minutes, an hour.
re: I do want the option of (1) backing up the content of a directory
I recommend backing up your entire site using BackupBuddy or similar service.
re: or (2) transferring the content without having to retype everything if the plugin either no longer meets my needs or stops being developed.
Additionally, in the last few months I’ve added and enhanced various CSV export options to the plugin. Infact, an update planned for tomorrow or Friday adds further enhancements to the CSV export tools.
re: is it possible to import contents of other directories created in WP environment. Guessing CSV file is the most likely option.
Yes, there is a CSV Import extension available.
Hope that answers your questions thoroughly!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ tom
re: Is it possible to change the titles in the plugin for example “Business Phone” to just “Phone” and how would this be possible.
Yes, you can change pretty much any text/label in Connections to anything you want. See this doc page for the details. Here is the link the the cMap specific documentation that covers this too.
re: Also, just wanted to know is it possible to remove the sidebar from my site on the right and have just the business index.
Removing theme sidebars would be a function of the theme not something that Connections does. Many themes provide alternate page templates one of which is usually a full width page template. Edit the page that you put the
[connections]shortcode on and look for a metabox title “Page Attributes”. There will be a drop down for the theme’s page templates. If the the theme provides alternate page templates, you’ll find them there.re: I haven’t looked yet but I assume there is some template installation documentation?
Yes there is. The cMap template documentation is here.
The contents for all documentation can be found on this page.
Hope that helps!
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ james
The cause would be a minor CSS conflict with the theme. The theme is very likely setting form labels to be white globally in a way that overrides the CSS in Connections.
I can provide a fix, but at the moment, I do not see Connections on your site.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Francois
Apologies for the trouble! I located the bug and fixed it. The address text boxes were not being properly sanitized before saving the address to the database. I plan on releasing an update either tomorrow or Friday which will include this fix. Again, apologies for the trouble and inconvenience.
Steven Zahm
Keymaster@ Andrew
The only way to do this would be to edit the PP files of the template. You would need to make the changes to the
card.phpandcard-single.phpfiles found in this folder:../wp-content/plugins/connections-cmap/. I would suggest using template override files so the changes are update safe.Hope that helps!
-
AuthorPosts
