BBPress Steven Zahm : Replies Created

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 10 posts - 6,601 through 6,610 (of 15,332 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ tracey

    re: is it possible to display the category selector drop-down when using the profile display mode within Excerpt Plus?

    Yes, it is possible. In fact, the category select should show no matter which display mode you choose.

    Can you share the link to your directory page so I can take a look?>

    in reply to: Unable to add new entries #360914
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Christine

    If you updated to WordPress 4.4, you need to update Connections. I see you are running a slightly older version of Connections, 8.5.4 which is not compatible with WordPress 4.4.

    Hope that helps, please let me know.

    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ David

    re: When I add a business and click Geocode, the map on the back end displays the business location properly, but on some businesses it does not display it properly on the front end.

    Could you give more detail on what you mean by “does not display it properly on the front end“? When I view both links you gave as examples, everything looks fine and from what I can the pins are at the correct addresses.

    in reply to: Users unable to edit in the front end #360911
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Patricia

    Question, what does the link say? “Submit New Entry” or “Add My Directory Entry”?

    If is says the former, go to the Connections : Settings admin page and click the Display tab and disable the “When this option is enabled a “Submit New Entry” link will be displayed. When a user clicks this link they will be taken to a page where they can submit their entry to the directory.” option and enable the “When this option is enabled a “View My Directory Entry” or “Add My Directory Entry” link will be displayed.“.

    If it is a later, can I get a temp admin login so I can take a closer look? The login details can be posted here as a private reply.

    in reply to: tools in menu bar #360782
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ biorn

    No problem! Apologies for the trouble!

    If you have a moment, I would truly appreciate a review as they really do make a difference. Many thanks in advance!

    https://wordpress.org/support/view/plugin-reviews/connections

    in reply to: Order_by issue #360780
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ George

    re: I would expect to get the results either way.

    I do not quite get what you mean to say? Could you explain further?

    re: When using order_by, I get results that are not what I expected.

    I double checked the query being sent to the db, it is correct.

    re: If I use [connections template="cmap" order_by="organization"...,the first four entries returned are “17a-4”, “2nd Chair Services”, “7Safe” and “911 Forensic Data”.

    That looks correct.

    re: If I use [connections template="cmap" order_by="organization,state"..., the first four entries returned are “17a-4”, “AccessData”, “Advanced Discovery” and “Avansic”. The difference, I think, is that no addresses have been entered for “2nd Chair Services”, “7Safe” and “911 Forensic Data”.

    I believe the db will “discard” records or maybe “prioritizes” the records in which there is data available. I’d have to look that up. But, if it is the former, then those entries simply would not be displayed as results. If it is the later, then the entries without the data (state) would be last in the results. Either way, the solution is to make sure the entries which you want to sort have data to sort by.

    Ohhh… I just thought of another third possibility. When the query is made to the db, it has to join the main data table with the address table. This joining is based on the entry ID. So, only entries with addresses will be returned as results and only those will be sorted. Anyway, the solution is the same, if you are going to sort by it, you need to have data in the field that your are sorting by.

    Hope that helps!

    in reply to: tools in menu bar #360779
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ biorn

    Ok, you should be all set. Let me know.

    in reply to: tools in menu bar #360777
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ biorn

    Ok, was incorrect editors do not have the import export capabilities by default… just wanted to correct that statement I made in my previous reply.

    in reply to: tools in menu bar #360776
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ biorn

    If you can give me a temp admin login, I can make the two very minor tweaks to make this show up properly for the editor as long as they have the import and export capabilities which I believe they have by default. You can post the login detail here as a private reply.

    in reply to: Working with "Link" and "Form" together #360771
    Steven Zahm
    Keymaster

    @ Alexandra

    There’s a lot here, I’ll do my best top answer every question thoroughly.

    re: We’re preparing a conference’s website, it is still in construction but almost finished. The idea is that participants register through an external payment platform and then they receive an user (email address) and a password. At the same time I create with this information the wordpress users in the conference’s website.

    Sounds like this workflow will work work with Connections Form and Link fine.

    re: Afterwards, they can go to this webpage (http://19deac.mmb.cat/participantes/), click the “REGÍSTRATE EN EL DIRECTORIO” button, login with the user and password we gave them and then they access the form, fill in the form and create a new entry in the directory. Access to the form is private (they have to login), but directory is public.

    Ok, this you will not want to do because this will not link the user to an entry they create. Rather, they will be able to add an unlimited number of entries, none of which will be linked to them.

    Here’s my suggestion, steps 1 and 2 are optional, but could make it easier for your users to find the link to edit the directory entry.

    1. Add the new shortcode using the method I describe in this post.
    2. Create a new page for a member’s “dashboard” and add the [connections_edit_link] to it with instructions for your user to follow.
    3. Alternative to step 2 you could add the shortcode to a text widget and place it in a theme sidebar on the http://19deac.mmb.cat/participantes/ page.
    4. The http://19deac.mmb.cat/registro/ page is not necessary and complicates matters. On the http://19deac.mmb.cat/participantes/ page I suggest adding the login widget to a theme’s sidebar. This would work well with step 3. After your user logins in. There will be a “Add My Entry” link as long as your enabled it under the result list action. Clicking this link will take the user to the form where they can submit their entry. You would configure Form on the Connections : Settings admin page under the Form tab.

    re: [connections_form] Shortcode.

    This will not be removed and is safe to use but I would not suggest using it because it will not work with linking users to entries.

    re: I also tried to include the login widget in the sidebar, but it doesn’t appear, it’s also not working, I don’t know why. And I’m not able to include the login form anywhere else.

    The login widget will not display if you are logged in. My best guess is when you added it to the sidebar to test, you were logged in. Try adding it again and then login out or visit the page in a private browsing window.

    re: I think the best solution is having the login widget in the sidebar (or a login form somewhere in the directory page) but just to add/edit entries, not to see the directory, because if I use “View my entry”, “Edit Entry” or “Add a new entry” links everything works well.

    I’m guessing you have the Form “Submit New Entry” link enabled. As suggested in the docs, when using Form with Link, it is recommended that you disable this option. This way the user will only ever see the “Add My entry” link or “View My Entry” links when they are logged in.

    re: However I don’t know how to do it, I just see these links as admin, but not as user.

    Make sure you enabled the add/edit or add moderated/edit moderated capabilities to the correct user role that your users will be assigned when you add them.

    re: I have some more doubts related to “Connections Circled-Template” and “Form”. I don’t know whether I should ask here or in a new topic:

    Here will be fine. It will be easier for us both to keep the conversation in a single forum thread.

    re: I have used this shortcode [connections enable_search=true enable_pagination=true show_profile_link=false show_org=true] because I don’t want to show the profile link in the directory, but I want to show the organization. However, organization doesn’t appear. What should I do to see organization below title?

    The org is only shown on the profile page. The only way to show it where you want is to add code to the Circled template to display it where you want. Do you know some basic PHP? I can provide directions if you do.

    re: In “Form” the only field required is name, but email should also be required, because is necessary to work properly with “Link”. How can I mark email as required?

    When the user adds their entry using the “Add My Entry” link the email is not required. There is no way to make an email required at this time.

    re: It’s possible not to have to choose between “home email” and “work email”. I think people won’t understand this.

    An email option could be removed using PHP if you do not mind work with WordPress filters. See this, it explain how to filter addresses, phone and email.

    re: And having less social networks in the list? Most of the social networks in the list are totally unknown in Spain, and is quite confusing as well.

    This can also be done using PHP and WordPress filters. This explains how to limit the list to a select few.

    I think that covers everything. Please let me know if I missed anything or if your need further guidance or clarification on my answers.

Viewing 10 posts - 6,601 through 6,610 (of 15,332 total)