Here’s the download link to RC 1:
The release candidate should be fully compatible with WordPress 3.1.x through 3.4.2.
The major differences between RC1 and RC2 are:
- The database upgrade should be triggered regardless of the upgrade method used.
- Image quality issue has been corrected.
- Added filters to all the cnOutput methods for the method $atts array.
- Added a %separator% token to various methods in the cnOutput class and wrapped it in a classed span.
- Completely rewrote the anniversary and birthday output blocks to match the flexibility of the other methods in the cnOutput class.
Here are in depth posts about some of the new features:
- Search (updated)
- New date field that replaces the current Anniversary and Birthday fields.
- Revamped settings page.
- Clickable phone numbers.
- Permalinks support.
- See the changelog for the long list.
- * FEATURE: Added permalink support.
- * FEATURE: Added a date meta field which uses the jQuery UI Datepicker for easy data entry.
- * FEATURE: Added auto and manual geocoding of addresses.
- * FEATURE: Added markup to the telephone number output to support clickable telephone numbers on smartphones.
- * FEATURE: Which fields to search can now be defined in the settings.
- * FEATURE: Added a configurable message that can be displayed to the user prompting them to login when the directory is set to require user login.
- * FEATURE: Updated the Settings admin page to use the new Connections Settings API Wrapper Class.
- * FEATURE: Added a view link to the Connections : Manage page. This link will take you to the front end of the site to that specific entry.
- * FEATURE: Added foursquare to the social media options.
- * FEATURE: Completely localization ready.
- * FEATURE: Add geo location filtering shortcode options: near_addr, latitude, longitude, radius, unit.
- * FEATURE: Added Pinterest to the social networks.
- * FEATURE: Added foursquare to the social networks.
- * FEATURE: Added VK to the social networks.
- * FEATURE: Added Odnoklassniki to the social networks.
- * FEATURE: Added Vimeo to the social networks.
- * FEATURE: Allow categories of the same name as long as they do not share the same parent.
- * FEATURE: Added a global ‘CN_MULTISITE_ENABLED’ to run Connections as a single site installation when installed on multi-site.
- * BUG: Use character entity codes for the page forward / page backward buttons.
- * BUG: Add the missing queries to enable FULLTEXT index for the default search fields.
- * BUG: Allow either http:// or https:// for both social media link and links.
- * BUG: Fix data validation for entry details to ensure only the fields expected in arrays is processed.
- * BUG: Disabled the registration the jQuery spin.js plugin because Elegant Themes uses the same registration name which causes conflicts and errors in the admin.
- * BUG: Fixed link target always setting to “New Window”.
- * BUG: Fixed issues with empty data with the various data fields being saved when they should have been discarded.
- * BUG: Fixed an incorrectly named variable in cnEntry::getSocialMedia().
- * BUG: Remove the “Edit” and “Delete” actions from the default “Uncategorized” category to further prevent uses from trying to edit it.
- * BUG: cnRetrieve::entries, wrap the category_name option values in htmlspecialchars() so it’ll find matches in the db. This is because the special charaters are stored in the db with entities encoded.
- * BUG: Make sure the correct folder path and URL are set in the CN_* constants for multi-site.
- * BUG: Make sure the table prefixes are preperly set in the CN_* constants for multi-site.
- * BUG: Fix markup bug for vevent in the anniversary and birthday output.
- * OTHER: Update Chosen CSS version query string.
- * OTHER: Added some additional CSS to keep theme’s from breaking the default Connections layout.
- * OTHER: Improve search results.
- * OTHER: Improve search scalability.
- * OTHER: Minor efficiencies to code in class.entry.php.
- * OTHER: Code cleanup of the connections.php file.
- * OTHER: Complete re-write of the settings to use the new Connections Settings API Wrapper Class.
- * OTHER: Removed the new line returns from around the social media icons and added 1px left/right margin.
- * OTHER: Check for data in the lat/long and country fields before tossing the address as empty.
- * OTHER: Updated the version attribute when enqueuing the Chosen CSS file.
- * OTHER: Add error supression to the unlink function in the inc.processes.php file.
- * OTHER: Deprecated the method used to create a link to the vCard.
- * OTHER: Added replacement static method in the cnTemplate class uses the new permalink support and offers and icons option.
- * OTHER: Added public method ‘returnToTop’ to create the return to top anchor in the cnTemplate class.
- * OTHER: Added public method ‘pagination’ to create the pagination controls in the cnTemplate class.
- * OTHER: Added public method ‘search’ to create the pagination controls in the cnTemplate class.
- * OTHER: Added public method ‘category’ to create a category drop in the cnTemplate class. Supports, single-select, multi-select and option groups for both. It also supports checkboxes and radio inputs in a table layout where the parents and children are presented in unordered lists.
- * OTHER: Move the query result count properties to the cnRetrieve class.
- * OTHER: Added base for landing pages.
- * OTHER: Added base for entry detail page.
- * OTHER: Prefix the image preloader jQuery plugin function with cn_ to prevent potential conflicts with themes.
- * OTHER: Add icons support for the email addresses.
- * OTHER: Remove the legacy help page from the admin.
- * OTHER: Remove some support for the legacy template system. This will be completely removed in the next release in preparation for the improved plugin template system.
- * OTHER: Minor optimization in setting the default values in the cnRetrive class for limiting the query by status.
- * OTHER: Minor optimization in setting the default values for the sort order in the cnRetrive class.
- * OTHER: Added some descriptive text to the input text fields on “Add Category” admin page.
- * OTHER: Adjusted a few styles on the “Templates” admin page for better visual integration with WordPress 3.4.
- * OTHER: Adjusted a few styles on the “Roles” admin page for better visual integration with WordPress 3.4.
- * OTHER: Started the cnGeo API Class to support geocoding.
- * OTHER: cnOutput::getMapBlock, check to see if the width value is empty in the interactive map div before setting the CSS width.
- * OTHER: Add inline CSS to the socialmedia icons to help prevent themes and other plugins from interfering with the icon size.
- * OTHER: Add the CSS required for the “Return to top” anchor link to the cn-user.css file.
- * OTHER: Flush rewrite rules on plugin upgrade.
- * OTHER: Update all files to use the CN_* constants.
- * OTHER: Add an option to cnOutput::getNameBlock() turn the name into a permalink and set its target to either the direct link or to the detail page.
- * OTHER: Added filters for all the $atts variables in cnOutput.
- * OTHER: Add Connections and Database version to the Dashboard System widget.
- * OTHER: Updated the cnOutput:getAnniversaryBlock() and cnOutput::getBirthdayBlock() methods to allow greater flexibility in formatting the output.
- * OTHER: Added a separator token to most of the methods in the cnOutput class.
At this time, there are no known bugs, but if you find one, please submit it to the Trac or leave a comment.
I was having the DB error with the RC1 release, and have tried this RC2 release, and it’s still not updating the database upon activation, so I still get the error when trying to add a new entry, or update an existing entry.
I completely deleted the plugin from the server, and tried uploading RC2, and then activated it. Is there something else/some other method that I should be using?
RC2 doesn’t retroactively try to fix the error that occurred in RC1. If you an provide a temp admin account, I can log in real quick and edit the plugin file and force the update to happen. Then you should be all set moving forward.
OK, just sent the login info to you. thanks!
Should be good to go.
Can I get the updated cMap template so that I can have the names clickable to go to their single profile page?
Do I need to uninstall my Connections plugin to make RC2 work?
I tried uploading it and got this
Installing the plugin…
Destination folder already exists. /homepages/12/d76799563/htdocs/wsc76799571/wp/wp-content/plugins/connections/
Plugin install failed.
Yes, deactivate the installed version and then delete it before trying to install the RC release.
I’m trying to find out more about new date fields — specifically how to remove the year from birthdays and how to remove the day (and maybe month) from membership anniversaries — but when I click the date field link for “in depth info” in your post above, the WordPress login page appears and I’m being asked to login to your site which of course I can;t do. BTW, this doesn;t happen if I click any of the other links in your post above. Is the date field settings info really Top Secret or is it a broken link?
Sorry, the link was broken. I’ve fixed it. The new date field, you’re going to have to pick a full date. The only way to hide certain parts of the date, is to format how the date is presented in the template. And to do different formats, you’ll have to detect the date type first and then apply the format you want.
Will I lose my current database if I deactivate and delete plugin???? Also my images are not showing up on my page:
http://blufftonchamberofcommerce.org/business-directory/ before the update or in my back end.
We, I can see the directory because it is private… However, you can safely deactivate and delete Connections. No data, including the images are removed.