License is not an issue now.
I’ve still got the broken page display on the new website.
I’ve done the following:
- Network deactivated Connections plugin.
- Activated Connections/cMap locally on both websites; no change to broken page.
- Recopied ‘connections-templates’ directory to ensure child themes are identical.
- Tested pages without custom css to ensure that’s not the reason.
- Checked plugins, biggest difference is WooCommerce on the directory page that is not working on Counselling Websites.
EMAIL SENT TO YOUR CONTACT EMAIL:
I’ve sent you admin login details a WooCommerce system report: might give you a clue of some sort.
WORKING Connections Page: Counselling Blog
BROKEN Connections Page: Counselling Websites
I want to have one data source and be able to pull back subsets of that data source on different sub domains within the multisite installation; I’ve got define( ‘CN_MULTISITE_ENABLED’, false ); in my wp-config. So far testing it works fine in terms of pulling back the data.