The next release of Connections is packed with new features, many of which can be taken advantage of by templates. Every template in one way or another will benefit from the next release, but most templates will need to be updated to take advantage of most of the new features. If you’ve been following along, you already know that the cMap template will be updated with search. I thought that I would take a moment to share the rest of the great changes that will come with the next version of cMap.Probably the best feature is that all who have already purchased the template, this will be a free upgrade.
Search; pretty self explanatory.
The category drop down has received a major enhancement courtesy of the jQuery plugin Chosen. When the drop down is opened, a user can now search the categories rather than having to scroll through them to find the one they are looking for. It’s pretty neat, I’ve already become quite spoiled by this feature.The pagination has been completely re-worked too. Currently, all the pages list in order, which is fine if you only have a few pages, but when you have 20+ pages, it becomes a mess, visually. The new layout mimics the style and functionality of the pagination used on the WordPress admin posts page. Definitely a lot less cluttered and nicer looking, while providing a familiar user experience.
Lastly, templates now can be programmed so they can hook into the Connections shortcode. Basically, what this means is that it is far easier to configure the template options. Currently, if you want to customize any of the template options, you have to locate and edit the functions.php file. And when you make changes, they are global, meaning every time you used the template, even on different pages, you have to use the same settings. Now, since cMap has been updated to hook into the Connections shortcode, you can set the template options from right within the shortcode. No more having to muck around with FTP and editing PHP code! Another great thing-now you can use cMap on different pages configured completely differently. Here’s a sample shortcode that can be used for cMap that changes the number of entries displayed per page, sets the pagination to be displayed at the bottom of the list and hides both the anniversary and birthday fields.
[connections template='cmap' cmap_page_limit='32' cmap_pagination_position='after' cmap_show_birthday='FALSE' cmap_show_anniversary='FALSE']
Here’s a list of options that are currently available with their default settings. This list will actually be expanded when the updated cMap template is released. As you see, templates are almost plugins on their own.
- cmap_enable_search = TRUE
- cmap_enable_pagination = TRUE
- cmap_page_limit = 20
- cmap_pagination_position = ‘before’
- cmap_enable_category_select = TRUE
- cmap_show_empty_categories = TRUE
- cmap_show_category_count = FALSE
- cmap_category_select_position = ‘before’
- cmap_enable_category_by_root_parent = FALSE
- cmap_enable_map = TRUE
- cmap_enable_bio = TRUE
- cmap_enable_bio_head = TRUE
- cmap_enable_note = TRUE
- cmap_enable_note_head = TRUE
- cmap_enable_website_link = TRUE
- cmap_show_addresses = TRUE
- cmap_show_phone_numbers = TRUE
- cmap_show_email = TRUE
- cmap_show_im = TRUE
- cmap_show_social_media = TRUE
- cmap_show_birthday = TRUE
- cmap_show_anniversary = TRUE
- cmap_map_type = ‘ROADMAP’
- cmap_map_zoom = 13
- cmap_map_frame_height = 400
- cmap_str_select = ‘Select Category’
- cmap_str_select_all = ‘Show All Categories’
- cmap_str_map_show = ‘Show Map’
- cmap_str_map_hide = ‘Close Map’
- cmap_str_bio_head = ‘Biography’
- cmap_str_bio_show = ‘Show Bio’
- cmap_str_bio_hide = ‘Close Bio’
- cmap_str_note_head = ‘Notes’
- cmap_str_note_show = ‘Show Notes’
- cmap_str_note_hide = ‘Close Notes’
- cmap_str_home_phone = ‘Home Phone’
- cmap_str_home_fax = ‘Home Fax’
- cmap_str_cell_phone = ‘Cell Phone’
- cmap_str_work_phone = ‘Work Phone’
- cmap_str_work_fax = ‘Work Fax’
- cmap_str_personal_email = ‘Personal Email’
- cmap_str_work_email = ‘Work Email’
- cmap_str_visit_website = ‘Visit Website’
Sounds awesome, Steve! Looking forward to trying the new features when they are ready! I’m so glad I found your plugins – they are making my WordPress life much easier and were more than worth the (minimal) cost. ;-)
Thanks! I see you’re using the Market template on Portfish LTD.. I’m sure you’ll be happy to hear that Market will be receiving just about all the same feature enhancements too.
Sounds like a lot of great improvements! Just bought cMap couple of days ago and can’t await the update. Last thing I need is logo-import via the csv-pro-module… then this one becomes unbeatable! ;-)
Thanks! I am working hard on making Connections best in class.
I’m actively looking for a directory plugin and just discovered yours!
I’m very excited and I’m ready to purchase the cmap theme and csv import add-on :)
But before I do so I want to make sure your next release meets 2 major requirements I have:
1. can listings be submitted by a visitor on the front end? if not, is it possible just being registered as a simple subscriber?
2. can we moderate easily a listing submission?
Last but most important question: when will your release be available?
1. At this time, users can not submit an entry from the front. After I release this next version of Connections and update the templates, I plan on starting work on a front end form add-on. I hope to have something done by the end of first quarter next year.
2. This next release does support moderation of entries, so it would be possible to give subscribers access to the add entry form in the admin and then moderate them.
3. I will have a release candidate ready for this weekend. The beta testing seems to have gone extremely well. Only a few minor issues, which have been addressed. Which is awesome, considering how much code has been completely re-written.
will you be giving some form of guidance or step by step on how to achieve point 2? It would be really helpful ;)
Thanks for your answers.
It’ll be pretty easy. You’ll go to the Connections : Roles admin page, scroll down to the role that you want to allow moderated entry input, check “Add Entry Moderated” and save.
Now anyone who is assigned that role can add entries and those entries will not show up until approved.
I volunteer to test this once you have a release candidate :-) I’m really looking forward to these new feature!
I searched for a whole month on a Directory Plugin for wordpress and finally stumbled on your site! I am very happy that I found this.
I am looking forward to buying the Cmap also! I am planning to use this plugin on my online fitness magazine community that will be released in Janauary!
Thanks! I do plan on promoting this coming year.
When will this be released?
Before the new year.