re: I logged in to my client’s admin account and saw the issue first-hand, then looked again at the filtering options. It turned out that for some reason it was set to Show Organizations rather than Show All entries; since all of the entries are for individuals, no entries were listed. As soon as I changed that popup and clicked the Filter button, the problem went away.
Yep, filters are persistent. I’m guessing the user applied the filter and forgot that they did.
re: I noticed that the UI for choosing Filter by Letter was a bit odd. At first it showed only an individual letter, then later (after I clicked the Filter button as above) it showed all letters plus a small rectangle that I guessed (correctly) would show all letters.
The character filtering is not persistent. Just navigating back to the manage page would reset the character filter.
I have no clue what that small rectangle is that you’re speaking of??? The only thing I can think of is that there is an entry (one or more) that has not name which could cause a “blank” character to be displayed as a filter option which, if that were the case, act like a character reset. But that’s just a guess.
re: If in fact this is how it is set up visually, I suggest a small improvement would be to change the rectangle next to the list of letters to a button that says “show all letters” or similar. Otherwise it’s a bit hard to figure out how to turn off filtering by letter…
It is on my todo list to add a character filter reset button to the page when it is being filtered by character. This button would simply be a link back to the page, like clicking from the menu.
Any way, glad to hear it was resolved.