Adding an entry has been designed to be intuitive and easy with only a few steps so you can quickly add entries to your directory. To learn more about adding an entry see each of the following sections.
Choose an Entry Type
To start, choose the entry type that you are adding. You have the three following options when adding an entry.
- Individual :: This is the best choice if you are adding a person.
- Organization :: This is the best choice if you are adding a company or business.
- Family :: Choose this if you are adding a group of Individuals together as a family. Learn more about how to create a family.
Choosing an entry type will affect the Name field. Each entry type has its own fields, some of which are required when adding the selected entry type.
Set the Visibility
Next, choose the Visibility status of the entry you are adding. You have the three following options when adding an entry.
- Public :: Choose this if you want the entry to be visible to your site visitors whether or not they are logged in.
- Private :: Choose this option if you want the entry to be visible to your site visitors only if they are logged in.
- Unlisted :: Choose this option if you want the entry to only be visible to the Administrators, Authors and Editor roles.
Add a Name
Now, give the entry a name. If you are adding an Individual then the first and last names will be required. If you are adding an Organization then the organization name will be required. And if you are adding a Family then the family name will be required.
Add Entry Information
There are many optional fields available which can be utilized to add contact information to the entry being added. Each of the following are repeatable fields which allow you to add as many as you need. To learn more about each of these repeatable fields, follow the link for the field you would like to know more about.
Choose the categories you want to assign the entry. You may select as many categories as relevant to the entry being added. Categories can be managed on the Categories admin page. Learn more about adding categories.
Lastly, after you have added all the information for the entry you are adding, click the Add Entry button.
How do I create a family?
Here is an example on how to use the Family entry type.
Say we have a family, the Doe’s.
First, lets start with one of the parent’s, John. Create a new Individual entry for John and put in all his personal info.
Second, copy John and change the first name to Jane and add/change any info that relates only to her for example her birthday.
Third, do the same for Girl and Boy.
Now create a new entry using the Family type. For the Family Name enter something like “Doe, John & Jane” and then click the “Add Relation” button for each member in the family, in this example, four times. In the first column of drop downs select each family member and in the second column of drop downs select their relationships.
Permanlink | Comments Closed